Request a mentor
IGSMA Mentor Program
The Illinois Grade School Music Association is dedicated to the success of its members. Whether the members are experienced teachers or brand new to the profession, the association has a mentorship program designed to pair long-time IGSMA members with those looking for support. The mentorship program includes a timely framework of talking points to cover all the aspects needed to ensure a successful contest experience.
Talking points include:
• IGSMA membership status
• A review of IGSMA rules and procedures
• General discussion topics (e.g. recruiting, retention, collegial relationships, etc.)
• Literature selection
• Rehearsal timelines
• Review of IGSMA Comment Sheets and a detailed discussion of each element
• Contest logistics
• Final Contest preparations
• Most importantly, how to use the contest experience to improve teaching and overall student performance.